Earlier this week, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs’ (DCA) Division of Local Government Services (DLGS) announced their application process is now open for the American Rescue Plan Firefighter Grant (ARPFFG) Program. Local New Jersey fire departments are encouraged to apply by December 8th, 2023, at 5 PM EST through the NJDCA SAGE Portal. This reimbursement-based program aims to provide firefighters with proper cleaning and protective equipment.
Before applying, make sure your agency’s information is updated, including Board of Directors, DUNS number, Federal congressional district, and agency contacts.
Key components to include in the application:
- Identify personnel in charge of managing grant funds and purchasing.
- Describe intended use of grant funds as well as provide evidence of governing body approval.
- Provide documentation of underserved population.
- Provide documentation of unmet first-responder needs.
- Identify the number of fire calls from calendar years 2021-2023.
- Identify the number of active firefighters from calendar years 2021-2023.
- Local match
Allowable costs will be submitted with support (invoices, cancelled check images, purchase orders) to the DCA through the SAGE portal’s “Expense Report” feature. Once reviewed and approved, the DCA will reimburse the fire departments. Grant funding must be used for purchases of protective gear (e.g., turnout clothing, helmets, gloves, footwear), personal protective equipment, cleaning equipment, oxygen equipment, and other fire/virus protection equipment.
For additional information, see the following links:
- American Rescue Plan Firefighter Grant (ARPFFG) FY 2024 https://www.nj.gov/dca/dlgs/programs/arpffg.shtml
- NJDCA SAGE Portal https://dcasage.intelligrants.com/Portal.asp
- Sample Resolution https://www.nj.gov/dca/dlgs/programs/pdf/Schedule%20I%20Resolution.pdf
Read more helpful news and articles here.