online_identity_theft_400_wht_15166In this face paced electronic world, it can be easy for unscrupulous people to use stolen Social Security numbers, to file tax returns claiming a fraudulent tax refund.  If you tried to electronically file your tax return and found out that someone had already electronically filed a tax return, with your social security number, you are probably a victim of identity theft.  If this happens to you, you can file a paper tax return, but you need to follow up in several areas.

First, you should review your financial records to see if you had any unauthorized purchases on your debit or credit cards.  Next, contact the three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit records.  If you receive an IRS notice regarding this issue, you need to contact them immediately. You may need to file IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit.

In order to minimize the occurrence of identity theft, you need to be vigilant about giving out your social security information.  Please note that the IRS will never make an initial contact with a taxpayer directly by phone or fax, and the IRS will never contact you by e-mail.  The IRS will only make initial contact by regular mail, and will never ask you to immediately pay a balance due at the time of their first mailing.  If you feel that you are a victim of such a scam, you can either contact the IRS at or by calling (800) 366-4484.

If you have any questions about tax identity theft, we are the experts in dealing with the IRS.  Please contact Andrew Ross, CPA at Bedard, Kurowicki & Co., CPA’s at (908)782-7900 x 113 or email